Ontologie et métaphysique
Thursday, 12-14, B111
16 december: The truthmaking argument for the existence of properties
- Devitt, Michael, 1980. "'Ostrich Nominalism' or 'Mirage Realism'". Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 61: 433-439 (in Mellor / Oliver 1999)
- Armstrong, David M., 1980. "Against 'Ostrich' Nominalism: A Reply to Michael Devitt", Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 61: 440-449. (in Mellor / Oliver 1999)
23 december: Leibniz's Law and the Puzzles of Coincidence
Bits and pieces
- Buy David Lewis, On the Plurality of Worlds, Oxford: Blackwell, 1986. It's indispensible reading, for almost everything in metaphysics, and arguably the most important work of 20th century philosophy.
- check out the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - most of the articles are excellent!
- check out the Philosophy Compass - most of the articles in the metapyhsics section are quite good.
- check out the Metaphysics and Epistemology section of PhilPapers - most of the literature is there.
- Ted Sider's bibliographies on modality, persistence, abstract entities and metaontology.