Financed by the Swiss National Science Foundation, supported by department of philosophy of the University of Geneva and in close cooperation with the series of talks organised by PhilEAs, the association of students in philosophy at the University of Geneva (which is subsidised by the Commission de la Gestion des Taxes Fixes of the University of Geneva) and the "Emotions, Values, and Norms" research project of the NCCR center of competence in affective sciences (dir: Kevin Mulligan), Kevin Mulligan (Geneva), Gianfranco Soldati (Fribourg), Michael Esfeld (Lausanne), Fabrice Teroni (Geneva) and I are organising a summer school ("école doctorale"/"Graduiertenkurs") on mind and metaphysics during summer term 2006. The school consists in four workshops on different topics.
calls for papers
Corresponding to the workshops, there are three calls for discussion papers, to be presented during the workshop. Discussion papers do not have to be well-polished publishable articles. The submitted written version will be distributed to all participants of the workshop - the oral presentation of about 20 minutes only summarises the argument. Presentations are in English, though papers may be in other languages too. Here are possible topics (all disjunctions are inclusive):
- papers on relativism, epistemic modalities, knowledge of logic or work by Crispin Wright. Deadline: 8 April.
- papers on (alethic) modalities, possible worlds, modal logic or work by Daniel Nolan, Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra or John Divers. Deadline: 15 April.
- papers on emotions or related work by Bennett Helm, Michael Frede, Simo Knuuttila or Robert Roberts. Deadline: 1 July.
Invited speakers: Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra, Daniel Nolan, John Divers
Date: 18-20 April
Place: University of Geneva, Bastions, room: A 206, Aile Jura (this is the left wing of the main university building "Bastions"). <
Program (click here for a pdf version):
- Tuesday, April 18:
- 13h30-15h: Philipp Keller, Contingent truthmaking (a copy of the paper is available to participants here)
- 15h15-16h45: Luc Schneider, The Predicate Modifier View of Modalities in a Particularised Predicate Logic (two related papers are available to participants here and here)
- 17h-19h: John Divers, Possible-Worlds Semantics Without Possible Worlds:The Agnostic Approach (handout, a copy of the paper is available to participants here)
- Wednesday, April 19:
- 10h30-12h: Luc Schneider, Rodriguez-Pereyra vs. Hawthorne on bundle theory and the principle of the identity of indiscernibles (a copy of the paper is available to participants here)
- 15h-16h30: Open Discussion: Might there be nothing? (chair: Philipp Keller)
- 16h45-18h: Ghislain Guigon, Plural Logics for Comparative Similarity and the Truth-Conditions of Counterfactual Conditionals
- 18h15-20h15, L208 (2, rue de Candolle, 2nd floor): Daniel Nolan, The Extent of Metaphysical Necessity
- Thursday, April 20:
- 10h30-12h: Ghislain Guigon, Resemblance Nominalism - how to get it easily
- 14h-15h30: Open Discussion: Modal Realism and its alternatives (chair: Philipp Keller)
- 15h45-17h15: Philipp Keller, Contingent Essence
- 18h15-20h15, L208 (2, rue de Candolle, 2nd floor): Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra, The entailment principle in truthmaking theory