Eleventh eidos meeting, 6th to 7th December 2008, Geneva
Click here for a programme.
The topic is Bradley's regress. Participants:
- Arianna Betti
- Amanda Garcia
- Richard Gaskin
- Aleksandar Kellenberg
- Philipp Keller
- Nick Mantegani
- Anna-Sofia Maurin
- Bo Meinertsen
- Francesco Orilia
- Benjamin Schnieder
- Bill Vallicella
- Jan Willem Wieland
Please check the discussion going on here:
All papers are pre-read, to maximise time for discussion. Speakers will presuppose that all participants have read the relevant material (see below for the papers/abstracts/slides and relevant papers).
Go here for some pictures of the workshop (thanks to Francesco Orilia!).
Location: L208, 2nd floor, 2 rue de Candolle (same building than the department of philosophy). Door code for Sunday: 1976.
Saturday, 6th of December
- 8.30-8.35 Philipp Keller: Welcome
- 8.35-9 Jan-Willem Wieland: "A Map of the Territory"
- 9-10 Bill Vallicella: "Trope Theory and Bradley's Regress" (click here for the paper)
- 10-11 Francesco Orilia: "Fact Infinitism and Ontological Dependence"
- 11-12 Aleksandar Kellenberg: "Bradley's Regress from a Radical Pragmatist Point of View"
- Lunch at "Emilios"
- 13.30-14.30 Bo Meinertsen: "Bradley's Regress and a Relation as the Unifier of States of Affairs"
- 14.30-15.30 Anna-Sofia Maurin: "Why there are tropes"
- 16-17 Arianna Betti: "Bradley's Regress and Mereological Responsibility"
- 17-18.30 Open Discussion
- Dinner at the "Escalade"
Sunday, 7th of December
- 10-11 Richard Gaskin:"Bradley's Regress and the Unity of the Proposition"
- 11-12 Benjamin Schnieder: "Remarks on the Unity of the Proposition"
- Lunch at the "CafŽ du Rond Point"
- 13.30-14.30 Nick Mantegani: "Reassessing the "Standard" Realist Responses to the Bradley Regress"
- 14.30-15.30 Jan Willem Wieland, "Do the Same Thing in Similar Cases"
- 16-17 Philipp Keller: "Why Bradley's Regress is harmless"
- 17-18.30 Open discussion
- Fondue at the "Bain des Pâquis"
- Eklund, M. 2008, Regress, Unity, Facts, and Propositions
- Gaskin, R. 1995, Bradley's Regress, The Copula and the Unity of the Proposition, Philosophcial Quarterly 45(179):161-180
- Gaskin, R. 1998, The Unity of the Declarative Sentence, Philosophy 73(298): 21--45
- Gaskin, R. 2008, The Unity of the Proposition, Oxford: OUP (click here for a sample of the book)
- Hochberg, H. ch. 4 in "Thought, Fact, and Reference"; sections 1.d. and 4.a. in Introducing Analytic Philosophy; ch. 4 in The Positivist and the Ontologist
- Maurin, A.-S. 2002. If Tropes. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Meinertsen, B. 2008. A Relation as the Unifier of States of Affairs, dialectica 62: 1-19.
- Orilia, F. 2007. Bradley's Regress: Meinong vs. Bergmann, in: Ontology and Analysis. Essays and Recollections about Gustav Bergmann, eds. L. Addis, G. Jesson & E. Tegtmeier, pp. 133-63. Frankfurt a.M.: Ontos (click here for the website)
- Orilia, F. 2006. States of affairs. Bradley vs. Meinong, Meinongian Issues in Contemporary Italian Philososophy, V. Raspa, ed., Meinong Studies, 2: 213-238 (click here for a sample)
- Orilia, F. unpublished. States of Affairs and Bradley's Regress: Armstrong Versus Fact Infinitism.
- Schnieder, B. 2004. Once More: Bradleyan Regresses, in: On Relations and Predicates, eds. H. Hochberg & K. Mulligan, pp. 219-56. Frankfurt a.M.: Ontos. (click here for the website)
- Vallicella, W. F. 2000. Three Conceptions of States of Affairs, Noûs 34: 237-59.
- Vallicella, W. F. 2002. Relations, Monism, and the Vindication of Bradley's Regress, dialectica 56: 3-35.
- Vallicella, W. F. 2004. Bradley's Regress and Relation-Instances, The Modern Schoolman 81: 159-83.
- Wieland, J. W. & A. Betti 2008. Relata-Specific Relations: A Response to Vallicella, dialectica 62(4), pp. 509-524.