Following up on the conference "Themes from Baxter" (May 26 - May 28 2012) and funded by the CRUS (École Doctorale de Philosophie Contemporaine) and the Swiss National Science Foundation ("Lesser Entities", 101112-147361), eidos, the Centre for Metaphysics at the University of Geneva, organises a conference on the themes from the philosophy of Don Baxter.
The conference will take place at the "Aarbergerhus" on the lake of Bienne. Everyone's welcome, but advance registration is required.
Possible topics include:
- aspects, respects;
- composition and identity;
- objectivity, existence, counting;
- perspectival facts, first-person perspective;
- ways and degrees of being
Particularly welcome are moderated discussion sessions, around a theme and including short inputs by the participants.
Click here for a pdf version of the programme.
Tuesday, 22nd of October
Monday, 21st of October: Arrival day.
: Aspects and Respects
Wednesday, 23rd of October
Thursday, 24th of October
: Existence and Being
Friday, 25th of October
: Time and Identity
Invited participants will receive:
- a lump sum towards their travel costs
- accommodation in a simple single room at the "Louis Haus" (shower on the corridor)
- simple breakfast, lunch and dinner (this is not served, but has to be got in the kitchen)
Coffees and other beverages, as well as nighttime amusement are at the participants costs.
Registered Swiss PhD students in shared rooms get their accommodation and food costs subsidised (103 CHF / night).
For any questions, please contact the conference organiser Philipp Blum.
Boris Hennig has a very bibliography on "insofar as".
- Donald Baxter, "A Defense of Hume on Identity through Time"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume on Infinite Divisibility"
- Donald Baxter, "Identity in the Loose and Popular Sense"
- Donald Baxter, Many-One Identity
- Donald Baxter, "Identity through Time and the Discernibility of Identicals"
- Donald Baxter, "Berkeley, Perception, and Identity"
- Donald Baxter, "Corporeal Substances and True Unities"
- Donald Baxter, "Abstraction, Inseparability, and Identity"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume's Labyrinth Concerning the Idea of Personal Identity"
- Donald Baxter, "The Discernibility of Identicals"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume's Puzzle about Identity"
- Donald Baxter, A Humean Temporal Logic
- Donald Baxter, "Instantiation as Partial Identity"
- Donald Baxter, "Loose Identity and Becoming Something Else"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume on Steadfast Objects and Time"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume's Difficulty. Time and Identity in the Treatise"
- Donald Baxter et al, book symposium on "Hume's Difficulty. Time and Identity in the Treatise"
- Donald Baxter, "Hume, Distinctions of Reason, and Differential Resemblance"
- Donald Baxter, "Identity, Discernibility, and Composition"
- Donald Baxter, "Differential Resemblance and Aspects"
- Donald Baxter, "Instantiation as Partial Identity: Replies to Critics"
- Friederike Moltmann, Existence Predicates and Modes of Being